Thursday, November 24, 2011

Getting Into the Christmas Spirit: Part I - SERENDIPITY

When I was fourteen, I was at the height of my film geekdom. I would, for the most part, watch a minimum of two films per day as I completed my homework, wrote in my journal, did yoga, and made collages. I figured that this was a great way to cope with being stranded in the middle of nowhere on a ranch without a license. And truthfully, it most certainly was. Sure it contributed to an already severely overactive imagination, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I digress, this passion led me to watch shows like Hollywood’s 10 Best, where I discovered new films and actors. One film that specifically captured my attention was Serendipity, a 2001 film starring Underworld’s Kate Beckinsale, My Big Fat Greek Wedding’s John Corbett, American Pie’s Eugene Levy, SNL’s Molly Shannon, 80s favorite John Cusack, and his close friend Entourage star Jeremy Piven. Serendipity initially grabbed my attention because it is my favorite word. It means “a fortunate accident,” which is a lovely thought and a wonderful premise for a film.

The film follows two people (Beckinsale and Cusack), both in relationships with other people, who meet randomly at a Bloomingdale’s department store in New York after simultaneously grabbing the same pair of cashmere gloves. Or WAS it random? After spending the evening together skating in Central Park, sharing a delicious blended coffee drink at the famous Serendipity cafĂ©, and finding that they are attracted to each other, the two decide to leave their relationship in the hands of fate. Cusack’s character writes his name and number on a dollar bill, and Beckinsale’s character writes her information in a novel. Since they are both in relationships, they decide that if they are meant to be, fate will bring them together. The notion is lovely, but over the years, after searching for the objects, their other relationships become more serious and the possibility of ever finding each other becomes less and less likely.

Finally, both characters decide that in order to be happy with their future spouses, the must try extra hard to find each other. The goal is closure, but fate has something else in mind. The reason why Serendipity is such a wonderful film to catapult you into the Christmas spirit is because the two meet while Christmas shopping. The feeling follows the characters throughout the film, as we get to see the wintery streets of New York, the perfect Christmas city, and bask in the yuletide tunes and glittery festive lights. After watching Serendipity for the first time during the first snowfall of the season on a family vacation through Lake Louise, I bought a pair of black cashmere gloves and a black scarf. I then proceeded to wear these every single day of winter during 2005 and 2006. This spawned my “New York fashion” phase, which I still recall with much fondness.

Serendipity is not the most common example of a Christmas film, but it will certainly inspire your Christmas spirit none-the-less. The greatest holiday of the year is exactly one month away, as we must enjoy every single day of the season. So watch Serendipity, have peppermint mocha, and download Louis Armstrong’s “Cool Yule”, the first track featured as the two serendipitous lovers meet.

Serendipity Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=156kqMJ7Ra4

Pictures courtesy of www.flickr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment