Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Steve Buscemi: One of the Most Prominent Actors of Our Time....and Ghost World

The other day I was watching Ghost World, one of my favorite films (despite the list being fairly long. Some might say endless, but alas this is untrue.) Whenever I feel the need to be inspired, I watch either this film or The Virgin Suicides. Yes, a big part of that is that I adore Thora Birch, who plays the main character Enid, especially in that outfit near the end of the film wear she is wearing a bright red dress, matching tights, Mary Janes, a scarlet headband, and bright bleeding red lipstick. It is a perfect contrast to her pitch-black hair and black-rimmed glasses. And I love it. Absolutely cannot get enough of it. In fact, you’ll probably catch me wearing that exact same outfit (minus the black hair and glasses…maybe) pretty soon. I’ll just have to introduce some black accessories to the ensemble. Anyways, I’m way off topic. As you can guess from the title of this article, Steve Buscemi is in Ghost World, and he plays a character so perfect, I can actually imagine that he is just like Seymour in real life. Seymour is the object of Enid’s affection, and enjoys Rag Tag Blues, Big Bands, and the haunting “Devil Got My Woman” by blues legend Skip James. So I definitely relate to him, which made me love the film even more.

Buscemi’s performance in Ghost World got me thinking about how many of the films I have thoroughly enjoyed that he’s been in. The list is actually quite long. He’s most notably appeared in numerous Joel and Ethan Coen films, such as the immensely successful The Big Lebowski, critically acclaimed and Oscar winner Fargo, and the R-rated musical Romance and Cigarettes co-starring The Soprano’s James Gandolfini, Academy Award darlings Kate Winslet and Susan Sarandon, and WeedsMary-Louise Parker (whose performance is wildly eccentric and all kinds of wonderful). Add to that critically acclaimed films such as Quentin Tarantino’s first two highly successful films Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, Paris, Je T’aime, and Monsters Inc., to name a few. In fact his entire resume is impressive, featuring him doing voices for animated films and hosting and acting on SNL. Despite having played supporting characters throughout the majority of his career, Buscemi has managed to both impressive critics and ultimately land a starring role on HBO’s hit series Boardwalk Empire. It would appear that audiences are harboring a new appreciation for his work. And rightfully so. He has a way of drawing viewers in, whether it be as a creepy and crude character, or a lovable and shy character.

Buscemi is one of those actors I can see winning an Oscar eventually, which would no doubt be well deserved. He is one of the most hardworking actors in the business and audiences don’t seem to be tiring of him anytime soon. I adore eccentric and offbeat characters, so I really appreciate Buscemi’s performances. Now Ghost World won’t be for everyone, but if you tire from Christmas films this month, pick up a copy and give in a try. Scarlett Johansson also costars. And maybe in the process, you’ll pick up a love for Indian 60s music, green hair dye, Rag Tag records, and fake 50s diners. Who knows. It could happen.

"You're a beautiful young girl, I couldn't imagine you'd have any interest in me except as an amusingly cranky eccentric curiosity." -Seymour (Ghost World).

Photos Courtesy of Flickr (@zellaby and @csyncratic).


No comments:

Post a Comment